Title

Dispatches from a Struggling Buddhist Studies Graduate Student

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In Chiang Mai


Yesterday, I left Samut Prakan and flew to Chiang Mai in search of language lessons and what I hoped would be cooler weather.  I’m still not sure about the language lessons, but the cooler weather is definitely not happening.  The weather report predicted a temperature of 34 C (93.2 F) for most of the northern region today, which is around the point where weather stops being “hot” and is officially declared as “bullshit.” 

Before I left Samut Prakan, I walked around the old market near Wat Bang Phli Yai to see if they had anything of interest.  I picked up a few more amulet magazines, and happened across an amulet which had the likeness of the monk I am studying, Ajan Lee Thammatharo.  I bought it for 500 baht, which was more than I would like to spend, but I’ve been studying this monk for almost two years now, so it is nice to have a token that represents how much of my life I’ve wasted on this thesis topic. 

I’ll post the few pictures I’ve taken later.  I would have taken more, but something feels weird about going to a foreign country and taking pictures of places and things that most of the people probably consider commonplace. I feel awkward about it.  I’ll also talk more about where I am in Chiang Mai later as well, since I actually want to try and get some things done today. 

I will mention one thing, and that's I’m still without reliable internet access where I am staying.  Right now, I am in a coffee shop/restaurant called The Marble Arch, which serves English Food and drinks.  It also serves some Thai food, and I partook in some very well made Green Curry and chicken.  Unfortunately, because of stomach problems I’ve had in the last few days, I ordered it without much spice.  Which is sad, because curry is supposed to have enough spice for the UN to consider it a chemical weapon.  

3 comments:

  1. Keep writing this! I am also alone in an unfamiliar city (you know, cause LA is totally like Thailand) and bored without human interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor tummy. I feel your pain about the photos...I can't help but feel sometimes that the camera is getting between me and my new world (literally and figuratively). Also, these days, you can bet that there are a bunch of photos that someone else took of major sites, so why bother duplicating them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut water's better than Gatorade when the weather's become a public sauna and you're sweating through your shirts.

    I wouldn't be abashed to take pictures. Sure, Thai folks walk by it every day--but I see people taking pictures of cows in Wisconsin. Don't miss out on the shiny shit you can't get at home--even if it is cow slobber.

    ReplyDelete