Title

Dispatches from a Struggling Buddhist Studies Graduate Student

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sucesses!


Basically, the last few days lately have been made of success at all fronts. 

1) Bought a temporary cellphone.  That may not seem like much, but I was able to find, pick out, and understand most of the directions the good people at Jay-Mart gave me while only using Thai. 

2) I called a teacher at the A.U.A in Chiang Mai, and she has agreed to tutor me one-on-one three days a week.  Hopefully, this will help my Thai immensely.  

3) I decided to travel around the city in search of a bookstore.  I was able to find Suriwong Book Center and after searching through the Religions section, I found a book on Ajan Lee in Thai.  I always need more sources in Thai. 

4) I also decided to throwaway my anxiety about my smell (see the previous post) and I went to a place called The Monkey Bar.  I sat down at the bar and ended up talking to a guy, in both Thai and English, about a variety of subjects, including American Football and Soccer.  He kept pouring me Johnny Walker Black Label from his bottle.  I drank enough to be fun but not so much that I did anything stupid.  The Perfect Whiskey Equilibrium.

Tonight, I might stop by the Sunday Night Market near the Tha Phae Gate and see what is around.

2 comments:

  1. On 4, good, because you don't smell.

    P.S. What with my proclivity to actually keep up with folks and whatnot... How'd you end up in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here to continue my study of Thai language and collecting sources for my thesis. Are you officially in Omaha now?

      Delete