Title

Dispatches from a Struggling Buddhist Studies Graduate Student

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Traffic, Big C, and Language

One of the downsides of the hotel where I am staying is that the rooms do not have clocks.  I’m a pretty time disciplined guy, and I like to wake up to an alarm rather than hoping I do not over sleep.  It’s especially a concern since I don’t know if I am completely over my jet lag, and I don’t want to start waking up at noon or some other late hour. 

So yesterday, I picked up a map at the front desk and walked to a place called Big C while the hotel cleaned my room.  If I somehow end up living here for five years, I might start to get used to the traffic. At the moment however, I’ll be glad if I somehow don’t get hit by either a care or motorbike.   I’ve already have had one close call. 

But I made it to Big C in one piece.  Big C is a department store that also includes an indoor mall with various types of shops, some restaurants, kiosks and a food court.  After failing to find a bank that could cash my traveler’s checks or an ATM where I could use my debit card, I stopped at a kiosk and bought an old style, non-digital alarm clock. 

While talking to the kiosk attendant (who did not speak English), she asked me how long I had been in Thailand.  I meant to say “2 days” (สองวัน) but accidentally said “2 years” (สองปี).  She seemed impressed, and I did not correct myself because I only realized my mistake when I was eating a sundae somewhere else in the mall.

Now, my Thai is not that great, but I have studied it now for about a year and nine months.  Even if I do not remember a word, I can usually talk around it to get the meaning across.  That is, at least when I am talking to my language instructor.  But so far, I’ve not used the language much because as I’ve found out, using a non-native language where it is spoken is embarrassing, at least for me.  Since I’ve been here, I’ve pretty much limited myself to “Hello,” “Thank you,” and “Excuse me.”  Basically, the vocabulary I learned the first day I started to study Thai.

Which is exactly what I do not want to do.  A big part of this trip is for me to practice and strengthen my Thai, and I can’t do that if I limit myself to three simple phrases.  I know it will be awkward, and it has to be to get better.  But I’m awkward enough as it is without the language barrier. 

My plan for today is to find a restaurant and order completely in Thai, and then stop at 7-11 to pick up some things, and maybe use the ATM if I think it will not eat my card.  Getting over my language-anxiety will take small steps, and as a glutton I’m fairly comfortable with vocabulary about food. 

So Far

Times I’ve almost been killed by traffic: 1

Times I’ve messed up my Thai: 1


1 comment:

  1. I'm always more shy about speaking Thai in Thai restaurants in the US. I mean, sure, the people *look* Asian, but what if they're Chinese and they just work in a Thai restaurant? Or what if they're Thai-American and don't speak Thai? (This actually has happened in Vietnamese restaurants multiple times--they send the English-speaking daughter over to wait on our table and she can't speak Vietnamese with me). So embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete